Wednesday, 19 September 2007

time to grow up

The hardest thing about being an expat here in Al Ain is the sense of being a child again. I feel like I can't do anything without assitance. I need to get my driver licence, but first I need to get my Aussie licence translated. Where do I do that? Why can't it be at 352 High Street near the corner of Smith? Why does it have to be past this roundabout towards Choitrums (how do you spell that) down that lane with the women's tailor on the corner, three doors up, take the stairs ... etc. And what time are they open during Ramadan anyway? I need some more water delivered. Why can't I give the guy a street address? Why do I need to describe it in terms of landmarks to someone whose language I can't speak and who only has a bare smattering of my language? Why haven't I figured out yet how to get some stamps to post a letter? How on earth do I get my electricity bill? How do I pay it? Aggghhh.

Either this is going to beat me, or I'm going to beat it. I think I have to just grow up!


Anonymous said...

when someone came to al ain from a cosmopolitan city, it does get frustrating - most of the times. just have to get on with it.

Humairah Irfan said...

I had to get my birth certificate translated from Urdu to English for Canadian immigration - I couldn't find any place that does it. In the end, my dad translated it and got it notarised.
Perhaps you can speak to a lawyer?